Apache 2.049 mod_rewrite

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Fri Jul 9 23:20:40 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-09 at 14:18, P|pex wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 09:43:58 -0500
> Jeff Vian <jvian10 at charter.net> wrote:
>
> > How are you starting apache?
> > As root using 'service httpd start?  or as a user?  Are you starting
> > it directly with /usr/sbin/httpd?
>
> [root at linuxbox gianluca]# /etc/init.d/httpd start
>
> I'm root :-)

This has the same effect as "service httpd start" -- good.  Thus if your
system is default it should do the same as mine.

The first process runs as root.  All the others (the worker bees that
actually provide the services) should run as apache.

If this is NOT what is happening then you have a non-standard config and
/etc/httpd/cond/httpd.conf has likely been modified to run the server as
root.

The others in this thread have told you, and I agree that the server
should not run as root. "ps -aux | grep httpd" will show the user name
in the first column and you can easily see what user the process is
running as.