xawtv problems

Marc Williams marcw at onlymooo.com
Sat Jul 10 00:18:11 UTC 2004

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 16:30:16 -0700, Nifty Hat Mitch wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 09:42:28AM -0500, Marc Williams wrote:

>> > I wonder if xawtv is making a gfx call that causes rivafb.ko to load.
>> > What if rivafb.ko was moved ...?
>>
>> Since that would be an easy test and since I am in no position to argue
>> otherwise, I tried it.  It didn't work.  Had the exact same freeze up as
>> previously.  But thanks for the resolution attempt.
>>
>> I think I'll leave my rivafb.ko permanently renamed since it doesn't
>> seem to hurt anything...
>
> Just in case the kernel loads objects in ways that ignore the file name
> move it out of the normal dir.  I have left mine in place and do not see
> lockups.  I think that rivafb.ko is a distraction at this point.

[much helpful debugging tools and info clipped...]

> And lastly a kernel version check since things are stable here, mine is:
>    # uname -r
>    2.6.6-1.435.2.3

Wow, talk about being overwhelmed by helpful information!

Quite frankly, I don't think I'm up to such sleuthing and debugging.  The
FC2 nv driver is working adequately and I don't play any 3D so I'm ok for
now without Nvidia.  I've posted my problems in the Nvidia forums, the
Redhat v4l forum and this one.  I think I'll let the Nvidia, xawtv, and
xorg guys sort this one out.  Thanks anyway!