mysterious FC2 gdm/X crash

Gerry Doris gdoris at rogers.com
Sat Jul 10 05:55:54 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-09 at 19:58, Ben Vitale wrote:
> Hi folks,
>   Early yesterday morning while I was fast asleep, my X server quit.
> Upon startup, my desktop shortcuts had lost their unique icons.
> Relevant log portions are below.

...snip

> The only X-related change I have made to my system in the past 48 hours
> is that I yum updated to xorg-x11-6.7.0-5 the day before. System ran
> fine for 24+ hours until this crash.
>
> I run FC2, kernel 2.6.5-1.358.  Nvidia GeForce4 MX440, with the newest
> drivers (6106).
>
> Does anyone have any ideas what may have caused this crash?
>
> TIA,
> Ben

I had the latest kernel and the 6106 driver installed but starting
seeing strange errors (spurious 8259A interrupts, unable to handle
kernel paging request) and lockups.

This afternoon I went back to using an 8k kernel and the older driver to
see if the system stabilizes.  So far it has.

--
Gerry Doris <gdoris at rogers.com>