Unable to align partition properly.

Banshee banshee2002 at charter.net
Sat Jul 10 08:21:33 UTC 2004

    I'm trying to dual boot Windows XP Pro and Red Hat Fedora Core 2. I installed XP on the first partiton, but when I try to install Fedora on the 2nd partition I get this error: Unable to align partition properly. This probably means another partition tool generated an incorrect partition table, because it didnt have the correct BIOS geometry. It is safe to ignore, but ignoring may cuase (fixable) problems with some boot loaders.

    I've searched google and tired many things including Partition Magic 8 Pro, booted into Knoppix and use cfdisk, updated BIOS, and used Hard Drive Utility from my hard drive manufacturer (updated MBR, formated drive with all 0's, I've done every option in MaxBlast 3). Fedora installs fine when I ignore the error, but after it reboots it freezes when I choose Fedora or XP in the grub selection menu.

    How can I fix this?

System Info if any help....
Abit NF7-S v.2
AMD Athlon 2000+ XP