tar

Gabriel M. Beddingfield gabriel at teuton.org
Sat Jul 10 12:54:07 UTC 2004

The -L option in the man page says, "change tapes after writing N*1024
bytes."  (Ah, the old days.)  So, perhaps you should find a way to change
tapes.  Maybe play around with the -F <script> option.  This lets you run a
script after each volume.  With that script you can rename "backup.tar" to
"backup00.tar", "backup01.tar", etc.

Since the -z option doesn't work with multi-volume tars (taking your word
for it -- but it makes sense), perhaps the script would also run gzip on
them.

HTH,
Gabriel