Strange characters with pstree and ncurses apps -- i18n problem

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Sat Jul 10 13:34:59 UTC 2004

Am Sa, den 10.07.2004 schrieb Jason Aeschilman um 15:14:

First, please do not hijack foreign threads! Don't reply to other list
messages while you instead want to write your own new message.

> Why does Red Hat 8 and later (including Fedora) default to UTF-8 character
> encoding when most command line apps don't yet support it?

Because UTF-8 is the future.

> It took me forever to figure out why pstree and various ncurses apps would
> show strange characters in place of expected characters.  Mostly I'd get a
> bunch of 'a circumflex' characters (â) -- the 'a with hat'.

pstree here works properly, it is part of Fedora so to be expected.
Can't say which ncurses applications you mean.

> Is there any need at all for UTF-8 encoding for English language
> installations?  And why have it enabled by default if it creates problems
> with command line apps?  I'm sure many have seen this problem and haven't
> figured it out, so hopefully this knowledge helps you.  If it does, let me
> know, I'm curious how many others have shared my pain.  Particularly, I'd
> like to know how the Fedora maintainers feel about this.

Very most of all UTF-8 problems since RH8 have been solved until now.
While Perl and UTF-8 on RH9 was a nightmare it meanwhile works problem
free. Though there are still Perl modules out there in wildlife which
have UTF-8 problems. So the developers have to be asked to fix their
modules.

All software shipped with Fedora Core, and I think that can be expected
by Fedora Extras packages too, are UTF-8 ready. Performance "problems"
might still occur in some ways, don't know whether all bugzilla reports
regarding this are closed now.

> J.A.K.E.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.6.6-1.435.2.3
Serendipity 15:28:14 up 2 days, 21:36, load average: 0.18, 0.18, 0.23