tar

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sat Jul 10 14:08:54 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-07-10 at 07:31, J.L. Coenders wrote:
> Probably an easy question for you, but I am fiddling with it for hours and
> can't seem to find out how to make a multi-volume tar file, which is
> preferably also zipped. I think I am approaching it in the wrong way.
>
> with the command below I can make a multi-volume file, however it overwrites
> the last volume with the next, and it isn't gzipped:
>
> tar -ML 650000 -cvf backup.tar *
>
> Any ideas how to solve this?
>
> Thanks,
> - Jeroen

For gz use the -x option,  bzip2 use the -j option, or after creating
the tar file use gzip or bzip2 to do the compression.

My version of tar does not allow compressed archives as multivolume, and
it also prompts for an enter after each volume is created. Thus it is
not totally hands free.

Unless someone else can tell you different it appears that you would
need to move the archive to a new name before you press enter, and then
compress the archive after creating it.

Or you can create one big archive and then split it into smaller pieces
for storage.

If this is being used for backups you might want to look at
mondoarchive.  It easily makes multiple compressed images ready for
burning to cd of whatever size you specify.