Strange characters with pstree and ncurses apps -- i18n problem

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Sat Jul 10 14:32:20 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-07-10 at 09:14, Jason Aeschilman wrote:
> Why does Red Hat 8 and later (including Fedora) default to UTF-8 character
> encoding when most command line apps don't yet support it?

I think they are trying to set a standard for this.  However I found
that this caused problems with a number of perl scripts (particularly
perl makefiles).

There was a short thread last month about the UTF-8 problems.  No real
resolution.

But the change you made to the i18n file is what I make on most systems
to make sure perl does not choke.

I think someone said there was a patch for perl but as far as I know it
has not been released yet.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

"A child is a person who can't understand why someone would give away a
perfectly good kitten."
-- Doug Larson