/dev/pilot does not exist

William M. Quarles walrus at bellsouth.net
Sat Jul 10 20:51:58 UTC 2004

On a tangent, you can upgrade your operating system on your Palm
cheaply.  This is one site that I found:
http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=113679

I like PalmOS 4.1 a LOT better than 3.5.

Try searching for this in Google:
Palm OS 4.1 -site:palm.com -site:palmone.com -site:palmos.com
-site:palmsource.com

/dev/pilot is not supposed to exist.  It does not exist on anyone's
system out of the box.  It depends on your individual device and
connection setup, so you are supposed to make it yourself.  Making a
symbolic link named /dev/pilot to whatever serial device your Palm is or
connects to on your computer is enough.  If your Palm connects to your
first serial port, you do this:
ln -s /dev/ttyS0 /dev/pilot

You might need to change the ownership of that serial port so that you
can have access to it.

Alternatively, you can often change the configuration of the program
that you are using to use the serial device directly rather than /dev/pilot.