Still Need Help - Epson-Stylus_C62 intermittent detection

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 10 23:23:58 UTC 2004

wrgraves2 wrote:
> Hello People,
> 	At first I was thinking that my ignorance of Fedora Core 2 simply prevented
> me from getting my Epson Stylus C62 printer to work. I have 'upgraded' my
> computer that was running Red Hat 7.3 The printer worked with RH 7.3 but is
> very unstable with FC-2. I've gone to the websites suggested, followed the
> help menus on the system-config-printer dialog box and even got the Fedora
> Linux 2 book for Dummies.  Two days ago, on booting, Kudzu ask me if I wanted
> to configure my printer, which it correctly identified. I said configure and
> then set up the printer with system-config-printer as root. Much to my
> amazement the printer was recognised when rescaned and the whole system
> worked. So I said to apply the changes and  thought I had solved this
> problem. But, on rebooting the computer the next time, kudzu comes up and
> tells me that the Epson has been removed. Why? I have tried in with no
> success to replicate the one time when this worked. Since I need the printer
> for my business this is more that just annoying.
> Bill Graves

Sorry that earlier ideas did not help solve the printer problem. As an
idea that the printer is parallel and sometimes is recognized as being
there and other times is not recognized, it sounds like the bios setting
for the parallel port might be needed to be set to a setting that is
more reliable on FC2. I'm not sure if bi-directional, ECP or another
mode would be more reliable.

To me now, it does not sound like the problem is with the printer
program or a problem with kudzu detecting or not detecting the printer.
It sounds like a loose cable, a soon to fail intermittent printer or the
mode that the parallel printer is in.

If http://localhost:631 does not come up. You might need to as root run
"service cups start"

I hope you can resolve the problem. I have an HP DeskJet 812C running
from an LPT port and it works without any problems.

I found this link related to your printer type. The Miscellaneous
section with the "No known autodetection signatures." might mean that
you have to set things up manually through the CUPS program and web
interface.

http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Epson-Stylus_C62

I hope that you can get this fixed.

Jim