Not allowed to create link on mounted FAT32 partition

William M. Quarles walrus at bellsouth.net
Sun Jul 11 03:30:44 UTC 2004

Let me further clarify (or muddy up) that.  Symbolic links are an ext2
filesystem feature.  You can make a symbolic link that exists on an
ext2fs partition that connects to any other file system, regardless of
type.  If you have another file system that supports symbolic links, the
same would hold.  I have several symbolic links on my ext3 partition
that connect to directories on my FAT partition.  But like Brian said,
you cannot make a symbolic link on a FAT filesystem, regardless of what
link points to.