Fedora Core 2 Update: ppp-2.4.2-3.FC2.1

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 11 04:03:29 UTC 2004

Pedro Fernandes Macedo wrote:

>> Unresolvable chain of dependencies:
>> xine-lib  1.0.0-0.lvn.0.29.rc5.2         requires libtheora.so.0
>>

> Probably because the developers are preparing to put theora in FC3...
> Soon libtheora.so.0 will appear somewhere..

This sounds like a great plus for Fedora advancement. I installed
theora-0.0-0.cvs20040322.1ark.i686.rpm to see if this would satisfy the
dep. It did not, but gave me a chance to read up on what theora is.

Thanks for the clue regarding the installation refusal and probable
cause for this error.

>> What program would be a good alternative to chkrootkit for system
>> integrity checks?
>

> At the place where I worked , we used both checkrootkit (which gave good
> results on distros without NPTL) and integrit. The bad thing about
> integrit is learning to see what you changed (through updates and
> changes in configurations) and what a invader changed.... This is really
> problematic when you do a massive upgrade (or when you upgrade a big
> package , like xorg , for instance) and you end with a integrit report
> with 2000+ files changed in the system...

Thanks for the tips. Digging through 2000+ reported changes does not
sound like a picnic. I guess my paraniod approach regarding not doing
on-line transactions is my safest bet. I'll check out integret to see
how this program fares.

Jim

--
Your best consolation is the hope that the things you failed to get weren't
really worth having.