Sound instability

Philippe phd2 at fcomfrench.com
Sun Jul 11 17:17:25 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-07-12 at 00:00, netmask wrote:
> > Where does this instability come from ? Do I have to think that a reboot
> > should fix the problem, as I used to think on another OS before ;-). Or
> > do I have a hardware problem ? But anytime I boot in RH9, I always have
> > sound ...
>
> Due to the errors you are seeing in /var/log/messages, and the fact that I'm
> assuming you are running your tests as root.. (yes) I'm going to guess that this is
> absolutely NOT your problem.. but I'll throw it out anyway.
>
> What are the permissions on /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer ?
[user at P4 user]$ ls -l /dev/dsp
crw-------  1 user root 14, 3 Feb 24 04:02 /dev/dsp
[user at P4 user]$ ls -l /dev/mixer
crw-------  1 user root 14, 0 Feb 24 04:02 /dev/mixer

> Next time you are without sound, "chmod 666 /dev/dsp /dev/mixer"  (I would
> only do this if its a workstation and you are the only user).
Does not chenge nothing, at least before reboot, but I still don't
reboot my system

Thnaks for your answer, I will try to look that way.

Philippe

--
Philippe, Chiangmai, Thailand