Network connection problem

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Sun Jul 11 20:55:27 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-07-11 at 16:37, Peter Greenwood wrote:
> I'm having problems making TCP connections using fedora core 2. Basically the
> connection fails the first time, but succeeds on the second try. Here's a
> typical
> tcpdump output:

> Questions:
>
> 1. Has anyone else seen this or is it just me? (someone told me it had
> been seen before, but I haven't found anything in the archives of this
> list or comp.os.linux.*)
>
> 2. Where should I look next?

Is there any possibility you have a duplicate IP address on the network?

If you can look at the arp table on the router for your machine and also
look at the arp table on your machine for the router.

Sounds like you can reproduce the problem so check them before the
initial test when it fails and then check it after it works.

Look for the mac addresses to be different for the same IP address.

Not sure that is it but duplicate IPs can give you very strange results.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

the butane lighter causes the pincushioning