Disk Quotas

Kostas Sfakiotakis kostassf at cha.forthnet.gr
Mon Jul 12 00:08:17 UTC 2004

Robert Locke wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-07-11 at 19:13, Kostas Sfakiotakis wrote:
>
>>Robert Locke wrote:
>>
>>>On Sat, 2004-07-10 at 07:56, Kostas Sfakiotakis wrote:

<snip >

>>If i understand this well when the condition -x /sbin/quotaon is
>>satisfied ( when really ?)  it tries to execute the /sbin/quotaon -aug
>>command
>

> Testing that the file /sbin/quotaon exists, then execute the command....

< snip >
>>>It is turning on quotas on filesystems where quotas are enabled....
>>
>>Well that means exactly NOWHERE !!! UNLESS the superuser has
>>
>>a) modified the /etc/fstab
>>b) placed proper files ( aquota.user for users , aquota.group for
>>group quotas )
>

> Take another look at the procedure below....  The "quotacheck" command
> with a -c option, will create the aquota files....
Yes I know what the -c option does . I have read the man page .
The only problem i had on that subject was how to create them
for the very first time

  Take a look at "man
> quotacheck" for more details....

OK.

> And yes, unless the whole procedure has been followed, there is no quota
> limiting....

Robert , i  looked at the man pages and tried to understand what
they were saying . I have managed to enable quotas on my /home
filesystem ( different filesystem than  / "root filesystem" ) but that
was not exactly because i fully understood what i was doing .
 From the quidelines that you kindly provided it seems that whatever
i did needed a bit tweaking .

< snip >

>>>Let's recap, step-by-step:
>>>
>>>1) vi /etc/fstab
>>>   Modify the "filesystem" options to include either "usrquota" or
>>>"grpquota" (usually has defaults).
>>>2) mount -o remount "filesystem"
>>
>>Am a little bit scared on running this command for the root
>>filesystem .
>

> Of course your other choice is to reboot.... :-)  But the remount option
> has worked pretty good.

Well i didn't knew about this possibillity ( the remount option ) , so yes
i rebooted .

>>>3) quotacheck -cM "filesystem"

Here  i didn't use the -M option , i used the -c option though
4) quotaon "filesystem"

That was done by the boot proccess .
>>>5) edquota "username" or look up setquota

Everything fine here .

> One last thought for you....  I generally do not find much need to set a
> quota on the "/" filesystem.  On a truly multi-user system (implying a
> need for quotas), I ensure that the regular user writable filesystems do
> not include "/".  I generally have a separate /home, /tmp, etc....  I
> can then place a quota on those filesystems only.  I also never put a
> limit on the user root......

:)) My current installation is the first one which has different partitions
for /home , /tmp , /var .  Agreed for everything else .

> HTH,

? what do you mean by that .

> --Rob

Kostas