fc1 : Which mysql version?

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon Jul 12 01:24:45 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-07-11 at 06:24, Markku Kolkka wrote:
> Gene Heskett kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika sunnuntai, 11. heinäkuuta 2004 13:16):
> > From what I can recall, it seems that mysql has changed the
> > license to something that clashes with the GPL, and the new
> > version is no longer being distributed by the linux vendors for this reason.
>
> Just the opposite, the new version changed the licence to _GPL_, so it can't
> be linked with applications with GPL-incompatible licenses like PHP.

HUH????   PHP is GPL.

This is one of MANY stories on that with PHP and MySQL licensing
problems.
http://www.silicon.com/software/applications/0,39024653,39119159,00.htm

Read the archives for the discussion on this several months ago before
FC2 was releaased.

I believe that Gene was correct in his statement but it had to do with
the two stage licensing and the terms for when it was free and when it
had to be paid.  The new licensing at that time required payment for
*distribution* of code, even internally and thus was a problem.

The discussion in the archives was much more complete than my memory so
for full details look there.