Invalid partition table

Kris Haight khaight at nhvt.net
Mon Jul 12 02:15:02 UTC 2004

I've had a similar problem. And I, too, have a dual boot system (and soon to
be another one).

Which partition is your active partition?

You can find this out by doing a

fdisk -l /dev/hda

The active partition will be noted with the * next to it.

If you've installed your boot loader into the /boot partition and *NOT* the
MBR, then your /boot partition needs to the the active one. Usually the
windows installer will make C:\ the active partition. You just need to
change this.

>From the Rescue CD prompt do the following:

1. fdisk /dev/hda
2. Press "a" (to change toggle active partition)
3. Press "1" (to toggle the windows partition "OFF")
4. Press "a" (again!)
5. Press "5" (to toggle the /boot partition "ON")
6. Confirm the changes have been done by pressing "p" (to print the
partition table). You should have a * next to  /dev/hda5 (under the "boot"
column)
7. Press "w" to write the partition table, if its correct.
8. If you get an error about device being 'busy' ignore it, and reboot

You should now get your bootloader on startup.

If you ever re-install windows again, you will just need to re-do these
steps to gain back your boot loader, because windows will re-make the C:\
drive your "active" partition.

This is why I disagree with people who say there should not be an option for
this when installing. If there was an option it would be easy to say "when
you are setting up drives, select this optiom". Even if the option is
burried under two or three menus.

Anyhow I hope this helps.