Sound (and wireless) on new Presario R3000 (was: Invalid partition table)

Reshat Sabiq sabiq at csociety.org
Mon Jul 12 05:52:38 UTC 2004

Kris Haight wrote:

>This is why I disagree with people who say there should not be an option for
>this when installing. If there was an option it would be easy to say "when
>you are setting up drives, select this optiom". Even if the option is
>burried under two or three menus.
>
>Anyhow I hope this helps.

Thanks for your reply. Per my earlier post, the problem is solved. It
was because /boot was logical and Disk Druid accepted it. I logged a
defect in bugzilla.

My last problem i'm aware of is that sound card is detected incorrectly,
and i don't know much about it. It says Analog Devices Inc., SoundMax
Digital Audio in XP. It gets detected as <model>IXP150 AC'97 Audio
rest fail in both Gnome and KDE.
This is a brand new laptop, and HP support couldn't give me specifics
about the sound card. I am afraid even if i find out what the card is,
there might not be a driver for it.
Btw. sndconfig is no longer applicable, because sound architecture has
changed.

P.S. Also, the only driver i found for this laptop's integrated wireless
card (Broadcom 54g MaxPerformance 802.11g), costs $20 after 1 month:
http://www.linuxant.com/company/. I will probably settle for it if i
don't find anything else, but any tips to avoid $20 expense are
appreciated. I hear that HP support couldn't help others with this card
other than saying buy a different one. The URL above might actually come
in handy for many other users as well, and may qualify as a QA entry. I
spent nearly a day to come up with it. The linuxant solution appears
somewhat slower than performance on XP, but overall is a pretty decent
way to go. At least with the wireless i know of this way to have it
working. With sound, i don't have a clue yet. Although frankly i haven't
focused on it yet.

Thanks,
<rsa/>