Static in speakers....

Ian Hilliard i.hilliard at hilliardtech.com
Mon Jul 12 13:36:30 UTC 2004

> Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 20:28:21 -0500
> From: Andrew Konosky <TerranAce007 at comcast.net>
> Subject: Static in speakers....
> To: fedora-list at redhat.com
>
> I have a Logitech speaker system and am using the onboard sound on my
> Giga-byte GA-7DX motherboard (Creatve CT5880 SoundBlaster PCI 128), so I
> don't have anything real fancy, but I never had any static under
> Windows. When the speaker system is powered on, I can hear a hiss coming
> from it. When I play music, it isn't noticeable until I turn the volume
> up high. I'm guessing its a driver issue or something. Any suggestions
> on how to get rid of it?

I had the same problem on my motherboard. It was caused by the inputs such
as microphone being enabled. I used alsamixer to turn them off and now the
hissing has gone.

You can also use alsamixer to set the volume levels so that you get a
reasonable output volume.

BTW, you use 'm' to mute a channel, using alsamixer.

Regards,
Ian