fc2 yum install mplayer with livna has dependency problem

Clint Harshaw clint at penguinsolutions.org
Mon Jul 12 14:49:00 UTC 2004

Barry Yu wrote:
> Clint Harshaw wrote:
>
>> Barry Yu wrote:
>>
>>> Just whan people whatch for this ;
>>> In my case, in fc2 using yum install mplayer with livna repository
>>> will result dependency issue and can't get the package installed.
>>> Switch to freshrpms repository had enabled me installing  the mplayer
>>> sucessful - but unfortunately no mplayerplug-in in this place so I
>>> had to download the rpm package from some other place.
>>

>> Make sure you have the fedora.us repo included in your yum.conf! The
>> livna repo shouldn't be used by itself. There is a big red box on the
>> livna page that states:
>>
>> "Important
>>
>> RPM.Livna.org is not a standalone repository.
>> You must use rpm.livna.org with
>> the Fedora.us repository"
>>
>> Further down the page, there is:
>>
>> "Do not ask for help about missing libaa/libFLAC/liblzo/libdv/...
>> dependencies. Configure your apt/yum/up2date to use the corresponding
>> stable/testing/unstable repositories from fedora.us which you use from
>> rpm.livna.org and it'll work."
>>
>> I'm not intending to flame -- but just be sure you have the required
>> fedora.us repo also in your yum.conf.
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>> Clint
>>

> Below is what I got when trying to install:
>
> root at fc2-station-1 root]# yum install mplayer
> Gathering header information file(s) from server(s)
> Server: Fedora Core 2 - i386 - Base
> Server: Livna.org Fedora Compatible Packages (stable)
> Server: Fedora Core 2 - i386 - Released Updates
> Finding updated packages
> Downloading needed headers
> Resolving dependencies
> ....Unable to satisfy dependencies
> Package mplayer needs libpostproc = 0:0.92.1-0.lvn.2.2, this is not
> available.
> You have new mail in /var/spool/mail/root
> [root at fc2-station-1 root]#
> ------------------------------------
>
> Below is the exact /etc/yum.conf I used :
>
> [main]
> cachedir=/var/cache/yum
> debuglevel=2
> logfile=/var/log/yum.log
> pkgpolicy=newest
> distroverpkg=redhat-release
> tolerant=1
> exactarch=1
> retries=20
>
> [base]
> name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Base
> baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/$releasever/$basearch/os/
>

> [updates-released]
> name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Released Updates
> baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/$releasever/$basearch/
>

> #[updates-testing]
> #name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Unreleased Updates
> #baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/testing/$releasever/$basearch/
>

> #[development]
> #name=Fedora Core $releasever - Development Tree
> [...]

Two things are wrong with your yum.conf:

a) you are trying to hit the overworked redhat.com site. Comment out
those lines and put in appropriate mirrors.

b) you still don't have fedora.us set up to work with livna.

livna.org must have fedora.us to play together! There is a large red box
on the livna site telling you so. Please visit http://rpm.livna.org to
see the large red box and read it.

You may want to simply use this sample yum.conf, which addresses both
issues:

http://www.fedorafaq.org/samples/yum.conf

Hope this helps,
Clint