Can up2date be completely turned off without removing it?

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Mon Jul 12 15:15:44 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 17:04:24 +0200,
  Alexander Dalloz <alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de> wrote:
> Am Mo, den 12.07.2004 schrieb Bruno Wolff III um 16:53:
>
> > I had up2date mostly turned off but it was still doing (at least) DNS lookups
> > for download.fedora.redhat.com which was bringing up my ppp connection.
> > This is made worse by all of the nbound malware probes being done, so that the
> > link almost never will be idle long enough to shut down on its own.
> >
> > I was able to solve the problem by removing up2date, but I was wondering if
> > there was a less drastic step I could have taken?
>
> chkconfig rhnsd off

rhnsd was off.

> stop and don't run the rhn-applet-gui (Red Hat Network Alert
> Notification Tool)

This I was as sure how to turn off. I removed the notifcation from the
desktop, but I wasn't sure that was the same as turning it off. The
setup option that seemed like was supposed to turn it off, would only
do it for the current session and it would come back at the next login.
Once I removed it from the desktop I didn't see the icon anymore, but
I was not confident that it was really off.