Java and Fedora2 / Mozilla1.7

Andrés González Cantú agc at member.fsf.org
Mon Jul 12 18:47:07 UTC 2004

El lun, 12-07-2004 a las 01:43, Reg Clemens escribió:
> OK, this question has probably been answered before, but
> my search of the mailing list doesnt find the answer.
>
> If I want to allow Fedora2 / Mozilla 1.7 to run Java, what do I do?
>
> I have loaded two different copies of Java, and when I
> load mozilla both give the message:
>
> ---
>
> LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /mnt/home/share/local/mozilla/p
> lugins/java2/plugin/i386/ns600/
> libjavaplugin_oji.so [libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2: cannot open shared object
> file: No such file or directory]
>
> ---
>
> which SEEMS to be saying that this thing wants libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2
> which was (I assume) distributed with a previous version of Linux.
>
> Is there a more recent version of the JAVA RPM out there that loads with
> current libraries?
> Can I safely make a symbolic link from this name to the CURRENT library?
> Or is JAVA just not runnable from the current Fedora/Mozilla combination?
>

> --
>                                         Reg.Clemens
>                                         reg at dwf.com

Dear friend,

Open a terminal as root, then create the /usr/java subdirectory:

mkdir /usr/java

In this subdirectory you must install the binaries of JRE 1.4.2_05 RPM
in the sual way:

rpm -ivh <package.rpm>

Then, change to the mozilla's plugin directory:

cd /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

Once you are there, make a symbolic link in the following way:

ln -s
/usr/java/j2re1.4.2_05/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so

Now turn off and again turn on your Mozilla browser and that's all.

Regards,

--
Andrés González Cantú
agc at member.fsf.org