Can up2date be completely turned off without removing it?

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 12 18:57:19 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 12:55:00PM -0400, jludwig wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-07-12 at 11:15, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 17:04:24 +0200,
> >   Alexander Dalloz <alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de> wrote:

> > > chkconfig rhnsd off
> >
> > rhnsd was off.
> >
> > > stop and don't run the rhn-applet-gui (Red Hat Network Alert
> > > Notification Tool)
> >
> > This I was as sure how to turn off. I removed the notifcation from the
> > desktop, but I wasn't sure that was the same as turning it off. The
> > setup option that seemed like was supposed to turn it off, would only
> > do it for the current session and it would come back at the next login.
> > Once I removed it from the desktop I didn't see the icon anymore, but
> > I was not confident that it was really off.
> The icon may be gone but not necessarily the daemon.
> Try at the xterm;
> chkconfig --list rhnsd
> if on in levels 2, 3, 4, or 5 ;
> chkconfig rhnsd off

Since you did not reboot you also need to:

  service rhnsd stop

In /etc/init.d/rhnsd you will see:

   # interval in minutes to connect to Red Hat Network. The minimum
   # allowed value is currently 1 hour; by default rhnsd will connect
   # every other hour.  This should be more than suitable for the vast
   # majority of systems.  You may adjust the interval by editing the
   # file /etc/sysconfig/rhn/rhnsd.

   INTERVAL=240

You might elect to set the interval to days or even a week.  This way
it will run on occasion in case you forget to check big time.

Do not forget yum.  There is a cron job for yum that you may
wish to turn off if it is not.  See:

  $ chkconfig --list | grep yum
  yum             0:off   1:off   2:off   3:off   4:off   5:off   6:off

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	/dev/dull where most of what I type originates.