Xine finds X server short of resources

Jonathan Ryshpan jonrysh at pacbell.net
Tue Jul 13 04:44:54 UTC 2004

Trying to play a video (as shown below), gxine reports the appended
error message.  It's clear that the X server is short of some kind of
resource, since the video can be got to play by killing all the windows
on my system, except KDE itself and a single console.

Does anyone know what resource the X server is lacking, or how to find
out?  How can I grant the server the needed resources?

Thanks - jon
================ Xine error message follows ================

$ gxine Hostage_EFE.mov
server: trying to connect to already running instance of gxine (/home/jonrysh/.gxine/socket)...
connect: Connection refused
server: socket '/home/jonrysh/.gxine/socket' created
The program 'gxine' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)'.
  (Details: serial 83 error_code 11 request_code 141 minor_code 19)