kernel update/wireless install

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Tue Jul 13 08:27:06 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 03:02:10AM -0400, Me wrote:
> Darren~
> yum definitely is not finding the kernel-module-hostap rpm file.
> I ran rpm -ivh on this and got:
> Error: failed dependencies:
> Atrpms-kmdl-helper is needed by ...
>
> I found a link to this on the Google search site.  Is this part of the meta
> package 'atrpms-56-1.rhfc2.at.i386.rpm" ?  I'm not sure why yum doesn't find
> it, although I also found a link to a package which supposedly contains all
> the yum headers as well (not sure that I need this, since yum seems to find
> everything else its looking for)...  Please advise.

Me, to end your Odyssey (and embark on another =), please do the
following:

o rpm -Uhv http://download.atrpms.net/other/packages/fedora-2-i386/atrpms/atrpms-kickstart-23-1.rhfc2.at.i386.rpm
o apt-get update
o apt-get install kernel-module-ipw2100-`uname -r`
o apt-get install ipw2100

That's all. Now update your system with

o apt-get upgrade
o apt-get dist-upgrade

After the last step you will also be able to use yum with preset
entries for a dozen of repos. Note that you may get a message like
yum.conf saved as yum.conf.rpmnew, which means that your copy has
remained in place and you would need to manually mc/cp the rpmnew file
over to the correct place.

--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net