/etc/resolv.conf and sendmail

Philippe phd2 at fcomfrench.com
Tue Jul 13 09:38:55 UTC 2004

Hi,

My domain-name (local, only local) is AAA.

My /etc/resolv.conf is :

[root at P4 root]#  more /etc/resolv.conf
search AAA
nameserver 203.146.237.237
nameserver 203.146.237.222

As I have problem with sendmail often queuing my mails for hours (using
smtp or sendmail to send it), I was wondering is this could be the
problem.

Here is the maillog for one message being queued :

Jul 13 10:25:30 P4 sendmail[3980]: i6D3PUGP003980:
from=<phd2 at fcomfrench.com>, size=772, class=0, nrcpts=1,
msgid=<1089689130.2851.28.camel at P4.AAA>, proto=ESMTP, daemon=MTA,
relay=localhost.localdomain [127.0.0.1]

Jul 13 10:25:30 P4 sendmail[3980]: i6D3PUGP003980:
to=<userx at domainx.com>, delay=00:00:00, mailer=esmtp, pri=30772,
dsn=4.4.3, stat=queued

Excerpt from this page :
http://publib16.boulder.ibm.com/pseries/en_US/files/aixfiles/resolv.conf.htm

A search entry defines the list of domains to search when resolving a
name. Only one domain entry or search entry can be used. If the domain
entry is used, the default search list is the default domain. A search
entry should be used when a search list other than the default is
required.

This is not true on my computer, as I don't have any DNS server locally.

My question : can I remove "search AAA" and can it be the cause of my
problems ?

If somebody got an idea ...  mean in simple technical terms as I am not
really fond of MTA ;-)

Philippe

--
Philippe, Chiangmai, Thailand