advansys scsi

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Jul 13 10:18:21 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 13 July 2004 05:55, sajiv wrote:
>thanks for the reply. Red Hat Linux 9 had no
>installation problems with it, neither does mandrake
>10. Someone did post it on bugzilla but no one seems
>to care.
>you seem to be talking about kernel recompilation but
>i haven't been even able to install it ( i have only 1
>hdd). It says no hard disk found.
>Do u mean to say that i recompile fedora core kernel
>found on the installation cd and write back the
>recompiled kernel to the installation cd ???

Gaack!  A newbee. :-)  Don't feel bad though,we were all that at one
time, now I'm just another old fart this group often ignores.

Basicly, yes, its a configure and recompile operation.  That also
means you'd have to have already installed all the developement
packages, which you obviously don't have if you cannot install.

So if you don't have another ide/atapi type drive that it can find,
you're probably out of luck on that machine till you get a better
supported card.  One thats included in the default initrd on the
installer cd.

But with 80Gb atapi drives being hundred dollar or less, commodity
items at Circuit City et all, why do you not have at least 1?

As far as the recompile is concerned, I use the vanilla testing
kernels, currently running 2.6.8-rc1.  It takes about 20 minutes from
going after the latest patches on kernel.org, to rebooted to a
freshly built kernel here, but like most old farts I cheat and use
scripts to do the majority of the grunt work.  I have one that
unpacks, patches and configures the new version, and one that
actually does the build and install, a 10 minute job here.  A couple
of minutes to edit grub.conf and 2 more to reboot.  So it doesn't
have to be a complex job, I play solitaire while its being done :)

[...]

--
Cheers, Gene
There are 4 boxes to be used in defense of liberty.