LogWatch / Failed to bind sshd

Christopher K. Johnson ckjohnson at gwi.net
Tue Jul 13 11:31:34 UTC 2004

Michael Yep wrote:

> Ok, thanks for all the answers, but this is still my most pressing
> question
>
>> Failed to bind: 0.0.0.0 port 22 (Address already in use) : 1 Time(s)
>

> This occurs in my LogWatch everyday.  I am a little paranoid, but I
> just don't want a "man-in-the-middle" process intercepting my ssh data
> / passwords

I think it occurs daily because you have not disabled ipv6 and sshd
attempts to bind to ipv6 and ipv4 any address port 22.
If you add an entry to your /etc/modprobe.conf like this:

alias net-pf-10 off

Then sshd will no longer log that problem.  You may see it in logwatch
the next day since it applies to a timeframe of "yesterday" but after
that it will be gone.