Still can't get the Nvidia driver to work

D. D. Brierton darren at dzr-web.com
Tue Jul 13 16:35:39 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 17:25, Per-Olof Litby - Reg'l Mgr Nordic/Baltic -
Java System Software - Sun Microsystems wrote:

> Turns out that neither the above  or swiching off ACPI makes any
> difference.  Still hangs. Need to login via telnet and restore the
> xorg.conf file. I'll go look in the nvidia forums to see if I can find
> anything there.

I'm sorry I haven't been closely following this thread. Do you have an
AMD processor? A friend of mine has a machine with an oldish AMD CPU
(can't remember exactly what) and an NVidia graphics chip. Every time he
has tried to install the NVidia binary-only drivers he's had exactly the
same thing happen -- the whole machine lock solid when X starts. After a
lot of googling it turned out to be a fiarly oft-reported but little
understood problem with the kernel, the nvidia driver and AMD, and I
found no solutions. If you do have an AMD processor I'm afraid to say
that you might be out of luck using the nvidia driver.

Best, Darren

D. D. Brierton            darren at dzr-web.com          www.dzr-web.com