Still can't get the Nvidia driver to work

Bob Chiodini chiodr at kscems.ksc.nasa.gov
Tue Jul 13 18:51:50 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 12:35, D. D. Brierton wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 17:25, Per-Olof Litby - Reg'l Mgr Nordic/Baltic -
> Java System Software - Sun Microsystems wrote:
>
> > Turns out that neither the above  or swiching off ACPI makes any
> > difference.  Still hangs. Need to login via telnet and restore the
> > xorg.conf file. I'll go look in the nvidia forums to see if I can find
> > anything there.
>
> I'm sorry I haven't been closely following this thread. Do you have an
> AMD processor? A friend of mine has a machine with an oldish AMD CPU
> (can't remember exactly what) and an NVidia graphics chip. Every time he
> has tried to install the NVidia binary-only drivers he's had exactly the
> same thing happen -- the whole machine lock solid when X starts. After a
> lot of googling it turned out to be a fiarly oft-reported but little
> understood problem with the kernel, the nvidia driver and AMD, and I
> found no solutions. If you do have an AMD processor I'm afraid to say
> that you might be out of luck using the nvidia driver.
>
> Best, Darren

I might have had this happen yesterday.  I have an older Athlon that
failed as described after setting Option "NvAGP" "1".  Tried Option
"NvAGP" "3" successfully, but that is the default.  Try Option "NvAGP"
"0" to turn off AGP.  Also make sure that your BIOS is set up for the
correct AGP speed and drive voltage.  There is some verbage in Nvidia's
README.  One more thing,  dmesg | grep -i agp should tell you which AGP
was detected, verify that it is the correct one.

Bob...