Fedora speed and a ranking of distro speeds

Thiers Botelho thiers at fosfertil.com.br
Tue Jul 13 21:44:05 UTC 2004

I've seen a few times, not only on this list but also on devel list, some
comments about the [slow] speed of Fedora desktop.

Anyone concerned with this issue might wish to check what's been posted
yesterday here:

                http://www.yoper.com/comparison/desktopcomparison.html

        and as openoffice calc

                http://www.yoper.com/comparison/comparison.sxc

(it's not very well explained but shows measurements from a good number of
distros).

Good news #1 : FC2 is on a tie with MDK 10.
Good news #2 : Debian 3.2 is still slower.
Not-so-good news: 19 other distros are rated as being faster than these 3.

Now, as a newbie I'd like to hear any comments on how easy would be for an
average user to tune FC2 up in order to achieve better performance than
that of the out-of-box defaults (on the desktop side I mean).

Thnx

Thiers Botelho