kernel reconfigure

Shawn Mahon smahon at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 22:21:15 UTC 2004

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 23:02:41 +0100, James Wilkinson
<james at westexe.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> yah hoo wrote:
> > newbie kernel compile
> >
> > what I'm trying to do-
> > reconfigure kernel for home pc
> >
> > what I've done so far-
> > googled and fedora archived for relevant instructions
> >
> > I know abou the commands
> > Make menuconfig; xconfig; gconfig; oldconfig. I know
> > about redirecting output to a 'build' directory: (make
> > 0=output/dir...) as I have read docs. and RH9 Bible by
> > Negus. + postings, - but none of this jives together.
> >
> > But what should I do before the above commands?
>
> First you need to grab a copy of the Linux source code. Either download
> a Linus version from a mirror of kernel.org, or install a kernel-source
> RPM or a kernel RPM.
>
> Which is up to you. I tend to stick to Linus' kernels: if you do that,
> cd somewhere where you want to build it, and run
> tar jxvf /path/to/linux-2.6.n.tar.bz2
> or
> tar zxvf /path/to/linux-2.6.n.tar.gz
> (depending on what you've downloaded). Then cd into the directory that's
> just been created.
>
> If you've installed an RPM, then cd to /usr/src/linux-2.6.*.
>
> Then run ONE of the make commands. Since you're doing this to learn, I'd
> recommend
> make xconfig
> or
> make gconfig
> since they give you the easiest access to help files, but you get to make
> all the choices.
>
> As always, case is important.
>
> It's not that hard: chances are you'll miss something, or you'll want to
> tweak your choices, so expect to have two or three goes for the first few
> kernels you compile. But the build system makes it difficult to make too
> many mistakes, apart from the obvious ones like forgetting to compile
> support for your hard disk adapter or ext3.
>
> Good luck!
>
> James.
> --
> E-mail address: james@ | "Minis on the other hand are just the wrong size. Too
> westexe.demon.co.uk    | small to work on directly and too large to put
>                        | upside down on the workbench."
>                        |     -- stevo at madcelt.org
>

> --

A simple guide to updating and building in some new options is here
http://fedoranews.org/contributors/vitor_domingos/ntfs/

It copies over the old config
make menuconfig
 make bzImage && make modules modules_install && make install

This even updates your Grub for you.

I have a question regarding this though, even when rebuilding
2.6.6-1.435.2.3 my up2date tells me I am using an unsupported kernel.
Does this make up2date useless or just the kernel patches?

Thanks,
Shawn