yum flavors vs/ fc1, fc2, fc3...infinity

John McBride jmcbride at ccis.com
Wed Jul 14 02:38:45 UTC 2004

Just curious...what is the rationale of forcing new installs every 6
mos. as opposed to having some type of "yum flavoring" like
debian...unstable, testing, stable type of thing? Then just have
"fedora" and a "fresh" set of cd's (requiring less download for update
than an older set).

The reason I ask is more and more people seem to be saying "fedora is
the equivalent of debian unstable"...but it seems to me that fedora was
portrayed as a usable desktop/server system when the project was started.

If this is not considered "reasonably stable software" and the only
choice is RHEL, well, I don't like it. I think that's an awfully large
gap to fill.

My personal experience is (having used at least three distros for months
or years apiece) fedora seems to be pretty usable and likable. Just not
sure I like the "wipe and reinstall" every six months.

I'm sure your opinion may differ...not that it takes that long to wipe
and reinstall, but redoing all the NIS, samba, cvs, dhcpd, etc. every
six months is probably a drag on admins.

---
John