Grub issue / resolution that worked for me

Daniel Lawson daniel at wand.net.nz
Wed Jul 14 05:33:42 UTC 2004

Bruno Wolff III wrote:

>I am running FC2 with software raid 1 (2 disks, 3 partions each).
>
>I had been only able to boot off of hde. In order to feel that
>I would be able to boot off hdg if hde went south I decided to try
>to fix this. But it turned out to be a lot harder than I expected.

As well as the steps you suggested, read the following:

http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-poweredge/2003-July/014331.html

The one thing it does differently is tell grub that (hd0) is actually
your second disk, before you install grub to the second disk.

This fixes the problem where if you remove /dev/hde, /dev/hdg actually
becomes (hd0) - you've got it set up as being (hd1). The extra steps
contained in that url tell grub to believe that (hd0) is actually
pointing at /dev/hdg

--
Daniel Lawson
WAND Group, Computer Science Department