/etc/resolv.conf and sendmail

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Wed Jul 14 12:11:09 UTC 2004

Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> What should that change? The aim can't be to prolong the queueing time,
> but to find the trouble maker.

Sorry, that wasn't aimed at finding the troublemaker, but was a general
configuration recommendation.

If you don't dial up in the next four hours, the sender gets notified
that the message couldn't be sent (and will be retried). This probably
isn't useful: your users may get tons of these, and say through clenched
teeth "Yes, I *know* the e-mail hasn't gone yet: we don't dial up at
that time of night / until cheap rate / unless someone wants to browse
the Web / whatever".

It's only really relevant to send the notification if the message is
delayed for longer then the normal maximum delay between dialups.

Hope this makes things clearer,

James.

--
E-mail address: james@ | "Luck is my middle name," said Rincewind,
westexe.demon.co.uk    | indistinctly. "Mind you, my first name is Bad."