Mail ???

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Wed Jul 14 13:17:32 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-14 at 06:49, Hugh Crissman wrote:
> I am running FC2. I am using evolution as my mail reader under X. All is
> good with that. But, I would also like to ssh into my box and read my
> mail with mutt. When I launch mutt it says no ~/mail directory exists,
> so I let it create one and it proceeds to an empty mutt interface. I am
> trying to vies the same mail and as I view when I am local and using
> evolution. What I am missing? I have googled around and read about
> mutt's .muttrc and postfix's main.cf (postfix is my MTA) config files
> but I am not sure I am on the right track. At this point I do not want
> to run a mail server, I just want to be able to ssh in and read, send,
> and receive just like when I am local using X and evolution. Thanks in
> advance to anyone who can point me in the right direction.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Hugh Crissman

I use evolution and ssh to my system to read email.  I configured ssh to
forward X and compress the connection.  Then I wrote a quick script that
resides on the system with my email to force-shutdown evolution then
start evolution.  On my laptop and another remote system I use I created
a launcher on the gnome panel that calls ssh nameofremotesyste
shellscript.  When I click on the launcher I get a nice dialog to login
to my email system which sets up the ssh tunnel.  The script is then
executed which knocks down any running instances of evolution and then
starts evolution.  The display is forwarded to the system I connected
from so I have full access to all of my email and can send email from
that location as if I was there.  All of this is over an encrypted
connection with compression.

If you are using dialup this may still not be very responsive.  But if
you are using broadband it works very well.  I even use this at the
house over my wireless connection to my laptop.

To configure ssh to forward x and compress the data you can use either
command line options or modify the ssh_config and sshd_config files
under /etc/ssh.  You can also modify similar files in your home .ssh
directory if you don't want to set those options system wide.  Check man
ssh_config for more info.

(I am currently using this from work to my home system.)
--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

It is the quality rather than the quantity that matters.
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca (4 B.C. - A.D. 65)