firefox problem

David Smith dsmith at programmablesolutions.net
Wed Jul 14 14:58:06 UTC 2004

Well the major difference from what I did and from what you did appears
to be that you used rpms and yum. Where as I downloaded mine from
mozilla.org. It could be possible that there is something broken in the
rpms. I have however found this version to be somewhat more buggy then
0.8. Here is what I did and if you want to try go for it.
This is the only way I got it to work, and trust me it's a bit weird.
1) I downloaded the install program from mozilla.org.
2) Extracted it.
3) sued in as root.
4) Used ./firefox-installer (This is the weird part)
5) I couldn't get it to install to /usr/share/firefox or
/usr/share/firefox-installer so I installed it to the directory that I
had to extracted it to. If it works it automatically opens a firefox
window (p.s. the theme is pretty bad...you may want to change it...after
the next step).
6) I then just moved that dir to /usr/share/firefox (i.e.
~/.../firefox-installer/* /usr/share/firefox).

I think it my multiple attempts I had changed the directory name a
couple of times, but after I did this is when it showed the best signs
of working. You may want to check all the permissions for security
reasons. Hope that helps shed some light on the differences.

David