/etc/resolv.conf and sendmail

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Jul 14 17:15:02 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 14 July 2004 13:02, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
>Am Mi, den 14.07.2004 schrieb Gene Heskett um 18:46:
>> >=== [root at P4 root]# cat /etc/hosts
>> ># Do not remove the following line, or various programs
>> ># that require network functionality will fail.
>> >192.168.0.1     P4.AAA  P4
>> >127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost
>> >=================================================================
>> >===
>>
>> And you *still* do not have "AAA" setup as an alias in your hosts
>> file.
>> You have an alias P4, but thats _not_ AAA.
>>
>> That line should look like this:
>> 192.168.0.1	P4.AAA  P4  AAA
>>
>> Whats so hard to understand about that?
>
>Gene,
>
>I must confess that I do not understand that either. What should
> that do? As far as I understood Philippe AAA is his internal domain
> name. AAA is no short name of one of his hosts.
>
>And the mailq command does not report an issue with the AAA domain
> but with fcomfrench.com domain lookup.
>
>Alexander

I was under the impression that it was a localmail problem all along,
(like amanda trying to send root a message) in which case mail sent
to AAA, must have the AAA defined in the hosts file, or as an entry
in a dns record in some machine known to AAA.  The point being that
if AAA is unknown, then the dns of record (from resolv.conf) is going
to be consulted for the resolution of the address represented by AAA.

At least thats how I've understood it for over a decade now.

Sorry if I was mistaken, and please educate me if you have the time.

--
Cheers, Gene
There are 4 boxes to be used in defense of liberty.