Can up2date be completely turned off without removing it?

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 14 19:15:26 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 04:00:21PM -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>   Nifty Hat Mitch <mitch48 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> > Do not forget yum.  There is a cron job for yum that you may
> > wish to turn off if it is not.  See:

> This might be an issue. Even though things seemed to stop after update
> was removed. I had thought that yum was just a fancy version of rpm,
> I didn't expect it to do polling. I think it is probably disabled, but
> I won't get to check until I get home.

yum like up2date is a tool for fetching rpm packages.
Think of it as a front end.

Both use rpm to do the actual install.

The 'yum protocol' is well suited for the distributed mirror
tricks and now up2date also includes yum along with http and ftp
as 'protocols' to define how a mirror presents packages it fetches.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	/dev/dull where most of what I type originates.