/etc/resolv.conf and sendmail

Philippe phd2 at fcomfrench.com
Thu Jul 15 16:00:59 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-15 at 18:28, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> The lookup is proper. The only thing right now I could suggest is to
> disable IPv6 with following line in the /etc/modprobe.conf
>
> install ipv6 /bin/true

I will try it.

> Looks ok too. The only thing you will face is, that your private domain
> name AAA and the FAQD P4.AAA is not resolvable for any mail host
> outside. So many MTAs will reject your mail and not accept it. Therefor
> I asked you to better choose your ISP's SMTP server as smart host.
I have no choice right now, my ISP does not offer it.
By the way, I don't have any mail rejected, as far as I am concerned.

> > [root at P4 root]# cat /etc/hosts
> > # Do not remove the following line, or various programs
> > # that require network functionality will fail.
> > 192.168.0.1     P4.AAA  P4              AAA
> > 127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhos
>
> If with "localhos" the missing "t" is just a pasting error.
Just copy/paste error ;-)

> A last question. You showed us a mail being in queue with "mailq -v"
> output with recipient <phd2 at fcomfrench.com>. Is only that one queued
> after the initial start of Sendmail after a reboot or every recipient?
Every ercipient. I chenged the email address in the log to protect my
recipient from spam. But any mail is queued, until the first sendmail
restart. Then, no more problem. That is why I think that when sendmail
is started at boot, with of course no connection and an empty
resolv.conf, it decides to queue every mail. Why ? I really don't know.

I try the IPV6 trick and I will tel you more.

Thanks,

Philippe
--
Philippe, Chiangmai, Thailand