Which to use? -ivh, -Uvh or -Fvh.

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 15 16:44:24 UTC 2004

Dan Barnes said:
> How can I determine if a rpm file should be
> added to the system with an INSTALL (-ivh), UPDATE (-Uvh) or a FRESHEN
> (-Fvh)?
>

> Is there a document somewhere that tells
> how to make this determination?  I have been searching the Red Hat web
> site, but, no luck so far.

The RPM man page does a good job of explaining the difference:

   INSTALL AND UPGRADE OPTIONS
       The general form of an rpm install command is

       rpm {-i|--install} [install-options] PACKAGE_FILE ...

       This installs a new package.

       The general form of an rpm upgrade command is

       rpm {-U|--upgrade} [install-options] PACKAGE_FILE ...

       This  upgrades  or  installs the package currently installed to a
       newer version.  This is the same as install, except all other
       version(s)  of the package are removed after the new package is
       installed.

       rpm {-F|--freshen} [install-options] PACKAGE_FILE ...

       This  will  upgrade  packages, but only if an earlier version
       currently exists.

--
William Hooper