NMI received after boot - maybe RAM chip problem

Mark msalists at gmx.net
Thu Jul 15 17:24:47 UTC 2004

On an FC1 system, Kernel 2.4.22-1.2115.ntplsmp, freshly installed, have not
screwed around with the system yet.

Upon boot, I get this at the logon prompt (text version, runlevel 3):

Uhhuh. NMI received. Dazed and confused but trying to continue.
You probably have a hardware problem with your RAM chips.
TLAN: eth0: Adaptor error = 0x180002
TLAN: eth0: Starting autonegotiation.
TLAN: eth0: Auto negotiation complete.
TLAN: eth0: Link active

The last 4 lines get repeated periodically until I log in. After I log in,
the message does not show up any more.

This happens sometimes, but not all the times.
I also had repeated cases of the system just suddenly hanging and not doing
anything any more (cursor still blinking, but no reaction to keystroke. Not
even <CTRL>-<ALT>-<DEL>.

As the above error message suggested problems with the RAM, I ran the memory
test using the FC1 boot disk. It ran about 14 hours, had 5 successfull
passes, no fails.
So I don't know if thats really the problem - unless they mean the RAM chips
on the network controller, not the main RAM.

This is a Compaq Proliant 1850-R, dual PIII-500. eth0 is the onboard compaq
ethernet adaptor.
The boot params I use are: apm=off nousb nofirewire pcmcia=off

I also noticed that if I run kudzu, it always wants to remove the
configuration for the onboard NIC and then re-add it right away on the next
screen.
Don't know if that means anything...

I had this machine running for a while before I reinstalled everything and
have not had any problems before. I also have an identical second machine
running without problems.
The installation was done as network installation off the base package I
downloaded from one of the mirrors. This is the first time I used this
install method, all previous installations were done from the FC1 CD and
then updated using up2date.

If anybody has any idea on how to fix this that would be great.

Thanks,

MARK