Gnome Display Manager

Ben Stringer ben at burbong.com
Fri Jul 16 00:31:59 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-16 at 10:28, Thomas Sapp wrote:
> How do I stop the GDM from starting up automatically?  Can I disable it
> long enough to log in as root and install an update to my video
> drivers?  I have tried pressing Ctrl+Alt+Backspace and it just

GDM is started (and restarted) by init, so to stop it you have 2
options.

1) Change runlevel to 3, by typing "telinit 3" as root.
2) Temporarily commenting out the starting of prefdm in /etc/inittab

The first options is probably the best. If you log out of X first, you
can do this from a virtual terminal (eg. CNT-ALT-F1).

Cheers, Ben