Red Carpet available for FC2 -- please try it out

D. D. Brierton darren at dzr-web.com
Fri Jul 16 00:35:23 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-15 at 20:31, Geoffrey Leach wrote:
> I used Red Carpet with RH 7 (or was it 8??).  It was _much_ better than
> up2date.  However, there was one rather serious problem, perhaps what's
> alluded to above?  Which was: Ximian had some of their own RPMs that
> replaced the RedHat RPMs.

Those RPMs were part of Ximian Desktop. Ximian Desktop is NOT available
for FC, and probably never will be available as a standalone product now
that Ximian are owned by Novell who also own SUSE. Red Carpet is just
the package management program. The *only* RPMs you *need* to install
are rcd, rug and red-carpet. The repositories it can give you access to
are pretty much the same ones that are available from yum, apt, and
up2date.

> These interfered with updating to the next
> version of RH.  The removal process was not painless, especially as it
> came at a particularly difficult point, upgrading to a new release.
> And RC was not supported at that point in the new release, so I
> couldn't go back, even if I had wanted to.
>
> Bottom line, I would not go there again, especially as command-line yum
> works so well for me.

That's great the you are happy with yum. But all Red Carpet does is give
you a nice interface for interacting with those yum repositories.
Nothing more. Although as you said above, it is a "_much_ better"
interface.

Best, Darren

D. D. Brierton            darren at dzr-web.com          www.dzr-web.com