FC2: failed to boot from installation CDs

Itay Furman itayf at fhcrc.org
Fri Jul 16 00:50:12 UTC 2004

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004, Jeff Vian wrote:

> On Thu, 2004-07-15 at 17:23, Itay Furman wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am new to Fedora and trying to install FC2 -- and failed right
> > at the beginning.
> >
> > My machine is IBM T41 laptop; pentium M.
> > I tried the Installation CDs, the DVD, and boot.iso burnt on a
> > CD. The machine won't boot from them, and instead will continue
> > to boot from the HD a previously installed system.
> >
> > To be sure, I checked RH9 installation CDs, Knoppix 3.1, and they
> > boot normally.
> >
> > Also, I was able to mount the FC2 CDs and DVD on another linux
> > machine with no problem -- so I think it is not an issue with the
> > burning.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > 	Thanks in advance for all help.
> > 	Itay
> >

> Will the other machine boot from those disks?

No :-(  See my reply to Satish Balay earlier in this thread.

> You may have copied the file to the disk instead of burning the image to
> the disk.

This mistake was done by my collegue earlier. When I mounted such
CD all I see in the file system is a single file <something>.iso
This was not the case here.
Anyway, I burnt the CDs with Macs (two different ones) so this
might be the problem.

	Thanks for replying,
	Itay