poor sound via esd, good sound via alsa

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Fri Jul 16 01:58:39 UTC 2004

Am Fr, den 16.07.2004 schrieb Rob Brown-Bayliss um 2:54:

> When I use xmms via esd, or rhythmbox to play back music files, either
> waves or oggs, the sound quality is poor, it's like the sample rate is
> being reduced some how.

> If I switch xmms to use the alsa output plugin then the sound is perfect
> as well.
>
> Any clues?  Any further info I can give you?

> Rob Brown-Bayliss

Bot really a help, but you know the quoted comment on the xmms.org
website?

» "I don't know why and I'm not yet motivated to fix it since my views
on esd are mostly unprintable."
- Alan Cox «

Is it important for you to use esd rather than ALSA or is your problem
more academical?

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) Athlon CPU kernel 2.6.6-1.435.2.3.uml
Serendipity 03:55:23 up 3 days, 1:37, load average: 1.18, 0.68, 0.42