Looking for FC2+Tyan+Adaptec expertise

Robert G. (Doc) Savage dsavage at peaknet.net
Fri Jul 16 02:02:24 UTC 2004

I apologize for this being a bit off-topic, but since I'm having trouble
installing FC2 on a Tyan m/b, where better to seek help?

The situation:  Tyan S2468UNG K7X dual Athlon MP 2800+ motherboard
equipped with an Adaptec S2000 zero channel raid (ZCR) card. It's job is
to convert the two on-board LSI/Symbios 53C1010-33 Ultra160 channels to
firmware RAID. There are two other SCSI cards in the system: an old
Symbios 53C810 host adapter for tape drives and a new 64-bit Symbios At
boot time I see the main Phoenix BIOS POST followed by the Symbios and
the Adaptec. Everything there looks jake. The BIOS boot order is set to:

    CD-ROM				<-- ATAPI DVD+-RW
   -Hard Drive
        I2O OSM				<-- Adaptec ZCR (I hope)
	WDC WD1000BB-32CAA0-(PM)	<-- old EIDE data drive
	Bootable Add-in Cards
    MBA UNDI(Bus2 Slot8)		<-- ??
    MBA UNDI(Bus2 Slot9)		<-- ??
   -Removable Devices
        Legacy Floppy Drives
    SYM53C8XX Boot Support		<-- Narrow SCSI for tapes

The problem is that FC2 detects the old narrow SCSI card (and loads its
driver), the EIDE drive as /dev/hda, but nothing else during the initial
installation steps. By the time I get to the partitioning phase, there's
no /dev/sda or /dev/sdb in the pick list.

How does one go about adding in such support so very early in the
installation process??? Must I find a driver for the Adaptec ZCR and
start with 'linux dd'? If so, location suggestions??

If I can get past this barrier, FC2 will go on an 18G U160 drive and
mount a massive 1T RAID5 data store composed of 9x146G U320s. (I'm
planning on doing a lot of VMWare work.)

--Doc
Robert G. (Doc) Savage, BSE(EE), CISSP, RHCE | Fairview Heights, IL
Fedora Core 1 kernel 2.4.22-1.2197.nptl on P-III/M IBM Thinkpad A22p
"Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
                         -- Admiral of the Fleet Sergei G. Gorshkov