any hints on status of FC3 t1?

Mike Fedyk mfedyk at matchmail.com
Fri Jul 16 02:39:52 UTC 2004

Jim Cornette wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-07-14 at 10:05, Chris A Czerwinski wrote:
>
>>> Red Hat/Fedora keeps moving the finishing line again before everyone
>>> will nearly reaches it e.g. because October is coming up so that means
>>> upgrade time.
>>

> I think that you have to look at Fedora as a system that has a
> snapshot every 6 months or so. With this approach, it does not stay
> confined with outdated programs. The bad side would be on programs
> that are your favorite that are removed or relocated to another
> repository.

Agreed.  If only debian would do something like this...

>>> 2. Will there be a proper UPGRADE script rather if all fails (most
>>> often
>>>   from this list) then the only solution is a FRESH INSTALL   (this
>>> should really be a SHOW Stopper)
>>

> This sounds like a windows (tm) solution. It all depends upon how
> badly your system software setup becomes. I really messed up one
> system with the below command. I was able to repair it with redcarpet.

I don't know what it is from experience (I'm new to rpm based distros),
but many people seem to have trouble with red hat upgrades.

I've used debian since 1999 through several upgrades, but then again
each distro has a different audience, and there is evidence that red hat
has more newbies to linux.  Though, the practice of upgrading with
--nodeps (as I've heard anaconda does) seems like they're asking for
trouble.  Debian avoids this by only supporting upgrades from the
previous release ie, 2.2 (potato) -> 3.0 (woody), or for example rh7 ->
rh8 -> rh9 -> fc1 -> fc2 to go from rh7 to fc2.

Though, if you're not following the releases somewhat closely, I
wouldn't suggest to skip releases on upgrades anyway.  Since there's
probably many customizations you might not remember about.

> If this list is to be about only FC2 and neither FC1 or FC3 beta, the
> list would be FC2 or called current release something. The title says
> for users of Fedora Core Releases. FC3T1 has been released to the wild
> now. (This is subjective)

Actually, fedora doesn't call  fc3t1 a release.  It's more like an
official snapshot of rawhide and there is a mailing list specifically
for those snapshots.