yum flavors vs/ fc1, fc2, fc3...infinity

John McBride jmcbride at ccis.com
Fri Jul 16 04:30:30 UTC 2004

William Hooper wrote:
> John McBride said:
> [snip]
>
>>I suspect it is as I feared. The rules appear to have changed (fedora
>>was originally portrayed as being somewhat stable, but over time more posts
>>are saying it's not suitable for production, only experimentation stuff or
>>home use).
>
> [snip]
>
> The Fedora Project from the beginning has been for "Early adopters, enthusiasts, developers" ( http://fedora.redhat.com/about/rhel.html ).  Nothing has changed.

Actually if you look at the perception of FC on the web, rather than
just RTFM on fedora, you will see that a lot of criticism is being
levied along the lines of what I've said from the beginning...that FC
was originally marketed as something of a "RH9 replacement", a suitable
"desktop" machine, etc...but there is a lot of grumbling about the
rapidfire releases, esp. when it appears that an update set would serve
just as well.

When I say "marketed", I mean that a lot of people were asking how FC
stacked up against RH9, especially for home use. For the most part, FC
was discussed as being a suitable replacement.

A true community project would probably ask the user base for comments
regarding the release schedule, but maybe I'd better not go there.

That's fine if you want to direct me to the FM and claim that's the one
and only story, but my gut feeling (shared by a lot of other FC users on
the web) is that things *have changed*. Increasingly, the perception is
getting out that FC is a hacker's distro...a sandbox for buggy code.
That's really different!

RTFM messages can't make that go away. RHEL is just too complex for my
needs...and for now I have to buy this stuff out of my pocket. That will
change if I can convince enough people to switch, but right now I can't
fork out a couple grand to RH.

I hope RedHat decides to again make a traditional boxed set with free
updates and some way of having a private update server, like I'm doing
with rsync and yum.

Thanks for your input, though. I'm guessing I'll wait for FC3 and hold
on to that for as long as possible, then hopefully I'll have the
leverage to get funding for RHEL.

---
John