Suggestion for Newbies [Was: Curt Tone]

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Jul 16 06:23:32 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-15 at 23:11, Mathew Brown wrote:

> > I could be wrong, but I believe the fix is all supposed to be on one line
> >
> >  sfdisk -d /dev/hda | sfdisk --no-reread -H255 /dev/hda
> >
> > thus the output from the first command is piped into the second
> > command.  You can think of it as the output of the first command is
> > used as the input to the second.
> >
> > Apologies in advance if I'm mistaken.
>
> No you're right, i'm on the xp partition now, Thanks for helping me get that
> bug fixed.
> my theme song for linux is....
> 34986 hairs in my my head, 34986 hairs
> take a handful and give it a tear, 34532 hairs in my head....
>  yeah not gonna make platinum, but it'll make the wig makers happy....
----
the solution was provided in that message that you had read but it gave
a lot of detail and you got lost in the detail. It would really help if
you react slower and read more thoroughly. You should have been able to
solve the problem without the last question.

Linux is not hard - it just seems that way because on Windows, few
people actually understand why things work the way they do and Linux
offers the full explanation and the ability to adjust settings either
with a text editor or with some gui program that changes the text files.

Some Windows habits die hard but in Linux...you don't need to reboot.
You shouldn't have to wipe it out and reload it - it can be fixed. It's
unlikely that you will run across a problem that no one has seen or
solved - your problem will always be how to figure out what the problem
is or at the very least, how to describe it to others so they can help
you figure out the problem. The most important thing is to get a grip on
the process of solving problems.

Don't underestimate that everyone that uses Linux has either figured out
how to learn to do things for themselves or gives up and goes back to
Windows. Thus, the last comment...you will do well to read this:

Not offered as an insult - but rather as a means to help you understand
the mentality of the method of learning how to use open source software.

Craig